One of the biggest challenges faced by homeowners during cold weather is dealing with frozen water pipes. If you don’t pay close enough attention, you can find yourself saddled with the unpleasant task of having to unfreeze your water pipes.
If your plumbing was installed correctly, inspected, and taken care of, the pipes freezing up is a lot less likely to occur. If you do find yourself needing assistance with unfreezing pipes, here are some tips to help you get started:
- First, determine if the frozen pipe or pipes have any pressure in them (common if it’s a water line – as drain lines don’t typically hold pressure)
- Second, if the frozen pipe does have pressure, you’ll need to shut the source. If any lines cracked while frozen, this would prevent a spray-out mess
Once you have determined where the freeze is, what type of pipe is frozen, and shut off any relevant source, here are some methods you can use to attempt to unfreeze your pipes:
- A ‘Piping Hot’ Machine
- A Plumbers Torch (only copper or metal-based pipe – with only water inside)
- Electric Pipe Heat Tape
- A Portable Electric Heater
- NEVER use an open flame to thaw your pipes – and never put your heat source too close to any combustible materials!
Frozen pipes can be an inconvenience if dealt with quickly – or they can turn into a costly repair bill! When in doubt, call a plumber to get your pipes thawed out. Much of a plumber’s winter business is devoted to thawing out pipes, and specialized equipment designed specifically for this purpose can be used to ensure that your pipes are unfrozen quickly – and without further damage.
Public Service Plumbers Inc. Dallas, Texas
Public Service Plumbers has been in business for over 60 years, serving individuals, families, and businesses throughout the Dallas – Ft. Worth area. Our plumbers are certified, bonded, and insured, factory-trained in the repair and installation of all major brand appliances. We use the latest technology to inspect pipes to minimize cutting into walls or digging up water and gas lines, saving our customers money in the long run. For immediate service – Call (214) 363-4477 anytime day or night, seven days a week, 365 days a year.